Wednesday, May 25, 2011

baby weight.

I have a very simple question with a very simple answer:

How does one lose weight?  Simple, right?  Diet and exercise.



Why then does this simple question with an obvious answer seem to completely confound the majority of us?  It's not rocket science.  If you eat well and exercise regularly you will achieve the desired physique.  The answer to that question is: Because it sucks.

Monday, Parker turned six weeks old, and yesterday was the first day I was able to exercise full-on since she was born.  I used the treadmill for 20 minutes and then finished with free weights and some sit-ups.  I then headed over to Subway and had a healthy turkey on wheat sub.  We had chicken and steak cabobs, twice-baked potatoes and watermelon for dinner.  I did allow myself one soda because I am trying to cut back but don't want to quit cold turkey and make myself sick.  

So, day one was a success, but day one is always a success.  Day two is usually a success.  Day three is most-often a success.  But I'm worried about days four through infinity.  I always start out strong and then slowly dwindle.  Before I know it I haven't been to the gym in three months.  The real problem for me is this is supposed to be a life-long thing.  I was not raised in a house where my parents regularly worked out.  I was super fit in high school and college due to cheerleading.  When I was a junior in high school I weighed 125 pounds at 5 foot 10 in., because I was literally at cheerleading practice 7 days a week.  As an adult that's extremely difficult - working out just because.  But shouldn't healthiness and a fit body be a good enough reason for me to want to keep at it?  

I heard somebody say that being thin and healthy feels better than any brownie tastes.  I know that's true, so I've just got to make it happen - 10 pounds at a time.  10 pounds is a lot more realistic than saying I want to lose 30 pounds.  So I will go by that.  

I am not going to make any public proclamation that it will happen.  That's just jinxing myself.  I would love to make it happen.  I would be so proud of myself.  But if I claim here and now that it will happen, chances are it won't.

I guess here is to hoping that I can maintain enough will-power and to make exercise a daily habit.  I think I just need to re-read this post if I get discouraged.

2 comments:

Brianne said...

You can doooo ittt!!! I think the key is to find some workouts that you enjoy! Changing it up really helps me out. Take the workout outside one day, add circuits the next or get in a new cardio class or video. I've got to figure out how to get the workouts in with a baby lol how do you do it?????

Courtney said...

I get my mom to come watch my girls. It's trickier now with two though. Haven had just got to the point where she could go to the nursery at the gym and I'm just not comfortable leaving Parker there yet.

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio