Monday, February 13, 2012

The Grammys at Grammy's

Yesterday morning I was dreading another boring Sunday night as Luke went off to work.  I've always thought I should have a party during any of the big award shows, so I called up my grandma (who we call Grammy) and ask if we could have a Grammys party over at her house - the perfect and go-to party house in our fam.  Plus it's fun to say, a Grammys party at Grammy's.

Anyway, we decided to make it a small pot luck as there were only a few of us in attendance.  I have been on Weight Watchers for about a month now and purposely not talking much about it as that is usually an instant diet-ender for me.  I'm pretty into it now so it doesn't scare me to tell you guys that I'm proud to announce I've lost 15 pounds!  Wooooop!  
So when I thought about what to bring I wanted it to be delicious and WW friendly.  So I decided to make some chicken noodle soup - very low points.  And my friend, Ashlee, whom I've known since I was one-year-old, told me she knew how to make buffalo chicken dip - which I've tried, but have been dying to know how to make because it's so stinkin' delicious.

The original recipe goes as follows:

Buffalo Chicken Dip
2 - 10 oz. cans of chicken
3/4 cup Frank's Red Hot Sauce
2 - 8 oz. cream cheese bricks
1 cup ranch
1.5 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Put chicken and hot sauce in skillet and shred chicken with your spatula, once it is shredded and the mixture is warm, add cream cheese & ranch at the same time, stir until the cream cheese is melted, then add 1 cup of the shredded cheese and stir it in until it melts, add mixture to a crock pot on low, put the rest of the cheese on top for garnish.  Use crackers or chips to dip.

Here is my altered ingredient list:

Almost Fat Free Buffalo Chicken Dip
2 - 10 oz. cans of chicken
3/4 cup Frank's Red Hot Sauce
2 - 8 oz. FF cream cheese bricks
1 cup light ranch
1.5 cups shredded cheddar cheese 
celery sticks for dipping instead of crackers

Really there's not a change in the ingredients, but I think swapping those two highly fattening ingredients makes a big difference.  I was skeptical about the FF cream cheese, because sometimes FF just doesn't work.  As a matter of fact, at a Weight Watchers meeting I attended once they told us not to even bother with the FF cheese because it tastes awful and can't even melt!  Weird.  But to my surprise the dip tasted fantastic.  I think one of the main reasons it was still so delicious is that the Frank's Red Hot Sauce has zero calories, so I was able to use that still and that is mainly what the dish tastes like.

Buffalo chicken dip on a celery stick, and my soup simmering in the background.
And yes, I borrowed Haven's nail polish. ;)


The dishes were definitely a hit.  We watched* the Grammy's with full bellies.  I loved Adele and Bruno Mars, the tribute to Whitney Houston, thought the double-performance by Chris Brown was a little much, and realized I'm either too old or not cool enough for deadmau5 (pronounced "dead mouse" for those of you who are too lazy to google it).  Fun night.  I can't wait for my next award show party!

*By "watched" I meant, waited on my needy children hand-and-foot.

2 comments:

LH said...

I haven't tried the dip yet Ashlee, but the ingredients sound awesome. Sounds like it was a good girl-night!

Heather said...

Hi I’m Heather! Please email me when you get a chance! HeatherVonsj(at)gmail(dot)com

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio