Sunday, April 25, 2010

We Care for Kelly

       On Saturday we headed over to Omaha in the early afternoon to attend the "We Care for Kelly" benefit that was held for my mom, Kelly Channell Maigaard.  It was a special event that was put together by her good friend Mary Sutera Becker whom she met in high school.  My mom is dealing with a rare cancer called Leiomyosarcoma, aka "The Purple Dragon."  4 in a million people get this kind of cancer.  It is extremely uncommon and therefore a lot of doctors aren't sure how to treat it.  

      The benefit was fabulous.  As we walked in we were able to purchase dinner, as well as purple ribbons, raffle tickets, and suckers.  There were also various items to bid on in a silent auction, including an amazing painting of my Papa done by our good friend, Ben Schuh, and also a guitar donated by the guitarist from Styx and signed by the entire band.  Nuts, huh?! 


Painting of Papa, done by Ben Schuh

      We all ate dinner and talked while some raffle prizes were given away.  As the night went on, more and more people showed up.  If I had to guess I would say over 200 people.  It turned into a huge party and everybody had a blast.  Mary put together a very touching slideshow with pictures of my mom, our family, and a special tribute to my Papa that got the tears flowing.  Later in the night a band called "Monsters in the Basement" started playing, and continued on until most everybody went home.  (Or so I was told.  I had to leave at 9:30 to put Haven to bed.  Sigh.  One of the perks of motherhood.)

      The outpouring of love was absolutely overwhelming.  I couldn't believe all of the amazing people that turned out, many traveling from out of state.  It was a complete success.  Thank you everybody for caring so much about my mom!

All the girls, Chloe, Mom, Chels, Haven, Me.

Great pic of my Grammy and Mom.
The "We Care for Kelly" benefit. Before most guests arrived.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio