Monday, December 26, 2011

moving and holidays

We're finally in!
But far from settled I would say.
Ever since we moved in it has been non-stop chaos.
There has been something to do every second of every day.

The day of our move was completely hectic.
We had family over helping us pack and get last minute boxes ready for the movers to take out to the truck.  The movers were fantastic.  They totally amazed me with the things they could carry out of the house.  It's like, if you're a mover, you have to have super-human strength.  It was pretty incredible.  They were carrying the bulkiest, heaviest items I own like it was no big thang.  Although they did admit that our dresser (filled with clothes) and credenza were incredibly heavy.  
Unloading wasn't much faster or easier.  The whole process took 6 hours.  But all-in-all I would suggest hiring movers.  They were extremely helpful, and we would still be moving our furniture over here if it weren't for them.  They were really friendly too, so that helped.

They even let Haven help take the bed apart!
Since the move I have been on a frenzy of cleaning, organizing, unpacking, figuring and re-figuring where things will end up calling home in our new house.  And the day before Christmas Eve I was hit with a 24-hour stomach bug that stopped me in my tracks.  That really stunk because we were having people over for Christmas Eve dinner so they could see the house.  So the next morning when I was feeling about 85% better I started my all day whirlwind cleaning and organizing.  A lot of boxes ended up in the garage and in closets just so we could make it presentable for company.

Luke woke up Christmas morning with the same illness and was pretty much out for the count for the entire day.  Sleeping on the couch while we opened presents, and then sleeping in a basement bed while we all had Christmas dinner.  Poor guy. :(  I actually felt lucky to have gotten it when I did.  But Christmas ended up being pretty low-key and uneventful anyway, so he didn't miss too much.

At the end of the day I was pooped.  I hopped in bed around 10:30 p.m. and it felt like 2:30 a.m.  I'm looking forward to some slower days but don't expect those for a while.  We still have some things to get out of our townhouse and haven't had time to do it with everything going on, especially my and Luke's sickness.  Hopefully we can make some progress or even finish up with that today.

I can't wait to get into the normal swing of things and get back to my regular blogging.  I'll try and keep ya updated in the meantime.

1 comments:

Laura Grittner said...

I wish I was closer to DM so I could help you guys out! I have a crazy amount of energy and I'm stuck in my house doing nothing!

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio